TopGurl is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a way for websites to earn advertising revenues by advertising and linking to Amazon.com or .ca, .co.uk, etc.
Achieving the “no makeup” makeup look offers the best of both worlds – polished yet natural. By enhancing your most attractive features with subtle cosmetics, you create a gorgeous look that appears effortless.
After much trial and error, I’ve discovered tips and tricks to perfecting no-makeup makeup so it looks like your bare skin…only better! Read on to learn how to accentuate your natural beauty with this flattering trend.
Prep Skin Properly
A flawless no-makeup look starts with healthy, glowing skin. Make sure to:
- Cleanse, tone and moisturize – Remove all traces of dirt, oil and impurities. Tone to restore pH balance and hydrate with a light moisturizer appropriate for your skin type.
- Exfoliate 2-3 times per week – Gently slough away dead skin cells for a smooth canvas. Focus on nose, chin and forehead.
- Apply eye cream – Hydrate the delicate eye area to smooth fine lines and brighten.
- Use primer – Mattifying or illuminating primers even out texture and control oils for makeup that lasts.
- Apply SPF – Protect your skin from sun damage that can darken spots and cause premature aging.
With clean, primed skin your natural luminosity can shine through.
Perfect Complexion Products
When it comes to no-makeup foundation and concealers, less is more. Sheer, light formulas look most natural.
- Tinted moisturizer – Hydrates while imparting sheer, even coverage. Look for ones containing SPF.
- Concealer – Spot conceal only on areas that need it like under eyes, blemishes, spots and discoloration. Resist heavy full-face concealing.
- Cream blush – Dust a soft pink or peach blush onto the apples of cheeks for a subtle flush.
- Highlighter – Apply gently at tops of cheekbones, center of forehead, tip of nose and cupid’s bow.
- Translucent setting powder – Lightly set concealer and T-zone to prevent fading and shine without looking powdery.
Sheer, dewy base products allow your natural luminosity to shine through.
Define With Soft, Natural Brows
Full, defined brows frame your face beautifully. But heavy, Instagram-style brows look obviously “done” up.
For a natural look:
- Brush brows upward – Use a tinted brow gel to groom brows into place. Don’t heavily fill them in.
- Conceal strays – Conceal any stray hairs around the brows instead of over-tweezing.
- Avoid sharp lines – Use light, feathered strokes if using brow pencil. Sharp lines look harsh and unnatural.
Defined yet soft, fluffy brows keep your look natural but polished.
Apply Mascara Only
While eyeliner and shadow can be stunning, they attract attention and look overly made up. For no-makeup makeup:
- Curl lashes – Use an eyelash curler to open up your eyes.
- Apply mascara – Brush on a few coats concentrating at the base of top lashes, leaving the tips bare.
- Use brown over black – For a softer look, opt for brown mascara instead of harsh black.
- Try tubing mascara – These cling to lashes without smudging or flaking, enhancing your natural lashes.
Adding only mascara defines eyes subtly without heavy makeup.
Finish With Pretty Pink Lips
Bright or dark lip colors will stand out too much. For the illusion of bare lips:
- Exfoliate – Buff away dry flakes for a smooth surface.
- Hydrate – Apply lip balm and allow it to soak in. Blot away excess.
- Use tinted balm – Swipe on a moisturizing balm with a soft rosy or pink hue.
- Blot to stain – Press lips with a tissue to leave behind a light stain.
Barely-there pink lip tints complement the rest of your natural look.
Set Makeup to Perfection
To get makeup to last all day without looking overdone:
- Mist with setting spray – Lock in makeup with a hydrating setting spray. Avoid heavy powders.
- Perfect with primer – Use primer on lids and lips to prevent creasing and fading.
- Touch up creams – Carry cream blush, highlighter and tinted balm for quick touch ups. Powder touch ups look obvious.
- Blot oil – Blot shine with oil absorbing sheets instead of frequent powdering.
Set and touch up your no-makeup look with light textures that won’t add or remove coverage.
Feel Confident In Your Own Skin
Achieving the perfect no-makeup makeup look just takes practice. Enhance your best features with these simple tips:
- Prep skin well and use light, dewy base makeup
- Groom and define brows softly
- Curl lashes and use mascara only
- Finish with a natural pink lip tint
- Set makeup lightly and touch up with creams
Embrace your natural beauty and feel confident going makeup-free with these easy enhancing techniques. Fresh, radiant skin is always in style!